Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hawaiian Haystacks

We really love Hawaiian Haystacks (especially my friend Sarah's recipe over at Redhead Recipes). But I do not make them very often because I think it is too much work to cook the chicken. I don't like handling raw meat, and I don't like the smell that permeates the house when I boil it. And I always worry that the chicken is not fully cooked and will make my family sick. And then I have to spend all that time shredding it.

THRIVE Chopped Chicken has changed my life. I don't have to worry about any of those things anymore. Tonight I made Hawaiian Haystacks in less than 15 minutes. Fifteen minutes! I made the sauce and prepped all of the toppings before the rice had finished cooking. It. was. AWESOME!

Also, I didn't have any cream of chicken soup so I decided to substitute the THRIVE Bechamel, and oh my word, it was delicious! And I just threw the THRIVE Celery on dry. Seriously, put this on your menu for next week.


Adapted from Redhead Recipes
Serves 4

Sauce can be made with 100% shelf-stable ingredients
4 cups water + 4 teaspoons Chicken Bouillon
1/2 cup sour cream
salt & pepper to taste
cooked rice
desired toppings (examples: cheese, chow mein noodles, craisins, pineapple, tomatoes, celery)

Bring 2 cups of chicken stock to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and whisk in the Bechamel. Let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken.

Stir in the remaining chicken stock, sour cream, chopped chicken, salt, and pepper. Keep it warm for about 10 minutes while the chicken rehydrates and to heat through.

Serve over rice and top with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment